History of Brown College
For over 60 years, Brown College in Minneapolis has been a leader in private post-secondary education, training students in broadcasting, design, technology and other exciting career fields.
In 1946, Richard and Helen Brown established The American Institute of the Air to train students for careers in broadcasting. Nine years later, the school’s name was changed to Brown Institute and program offerings were added.
In 2001, Brown Institute, LTD began operation as Brown College. This name change reflects the school’s expanded program and degree offerings. Brown College is now affiliated with Career Education Corporation, one of the world’s largest providers of private, proprietary postsecondary education.
In its early years, the college occupied a seven-building campus on East Lake Street in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In July 1986, the school moved a few blocks west to a location at Lake Street and Hiawatha Avenue. A decade later, the needs of Brown’s rapidly growing student body prompted the move to a new campus in Mendota Heights, a southern suburb of St. Paul.
In 2011 the campus relocated to a new facility in Mendota Heights. Expansion occurred in October 2001 when Brown College opened a satellite campus in Brooklyn Center, a suburb of the northwestern Twin Cities. The satellite campus was upgraded to a branch campus in February 2005 and in May 2011 moved into a new facility in Brooklyn Center.
To learn more about Brown College, our degree programs or how to apply for admission, please contact us for more information.